The property owner is responsible for all pipes and plumbing on the "customer side" of the water meter. This includes the interior plumbing of the home, the outside irrigation system, and the area where the property's water system connects to the water meter. BJWSA is responsible for pipes on the "street side" of the water meter, including all service lines and water mains extending throughout the community. BJWSA is also responsible for the water meter itself. If you notice a water leak in the street or in the vicinity of your water meter, call our Customer Service Department.

Are you experiencing a problem such as a pump station alarm going off, lack of water or a main break? Has your service been suspended due to non-payment?

To report a problem or have your water turned back on, please email or call Customer Service at 843-987-9200.

Monday through Friday 8:30 am to 5 pm

After hours emergency 843-987-9200
(the line is monitored – please leave a message)

Port Royal & City of Beaufort Customers

If you have questions or concerns about your garbage and/or recycling service, you should contact:

  • Waste Pro 843-645-4100
  • City of Beaufort Public Works 843-525-7054


Military Installation Customers

If you live on a military installation, to report a water or sewer problem, contact the Trouble Desk:

  • Parris Island 843-228-3145
  • Marine Corps Air Station (MCAS)
    and Laurel Bay
  • Naval Hospital 843-228-5430
    (nights and weekends: 843-228-5600)